Monday, June 4, 2018

Down the TBR Hole #1

Hi everyone! I've seen a lot of blogs do this and I figured my TBR definitely needed to be lightened. This meme was created by Lia @Lost in a Story


It works like this:
Go to your goodreads to-read shelf.
Order on ascending date added.
Take the first 5 (or 10 (or even more!) if youre feeling adventurous) books.
Read the synopses
 of the books
Decide: keep it or should it go?
My Goodreads TBR currently has 866 books on it, and some of them are ancient, so I'm really looking forward to cleansing my list!

Fablehaven Cover

Fablehaven


A hidden refuge for magical creatures where chaos breaks out sounds right up my alley, but it's a Children's/Middle Grade series that's 5 books long, and I think the window for me to enjoy it has long closed.




Decision: Go


The Magician (The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel #2)


I remember thoroughly enjoying the first book of this series. That being said, I read the first book of this series in 6th grade and don't remember anything about it. Another middle grade book, but this time about elemental magic.

Decision: Go


Poison Study

This is a fantasy series about a murderer who's punishment is to be a poison taster. Full of poison, magic, and rebellion, this 6 book series just got it's conclusion published in 2017. It's got a 4.15 average star rating on Goodreads and most of my friends have given it 5 stars... and if I wanted to, I could sit and read all 6 this week.



Decision: Keep


Magyk (Septimus Heap #1)

This long 7 book series has been read by most of my friends back in the 2011-2013 era with a spattering of different ratings. This also apparently has a second series which is a trilogy. That's a lot of books to commit two with a 10 year old protagonist, buuuut it's supposedly a fantasy book told  with a lot of humor reminiscent of  tradition British storytelling.



Decision: Go


Moon Called (Mercy Thompson #1)

This is an Urban Paranormal Romance book (looks to be either New Adult or Adult) with what appears to be a love triangle as well. Our MC is a coyote shifter, and many of the folks around her are what go bump in the night. No one I know has read it recently so I'd have no one to talk about it with- I think I've moved past the paranormal romance section of my life.



Decision: Go


Nobody's Princess

Just reading this synopsis got me giddy again! A mythological fiction about Helen of Sparta before she became the famous Helen of Troy everyone loves to hate? Sign me UP! I'm just as obsessed with Greek Mythology as I was when I shelved this book, maybe even more know that I've read most of the famous Greek Tragedies (multiple including Troy).



Decision: Keep


Unearthly

Another Paranormal Romance (this time YA like most of my reads), this 3 book series stars a nephilim (half angel/half human) who just finds out she's has angel dna in her. It looks like another love triangle between a guy who means 'following the rules' and a guy that means 'following her heart'. I don't have the energy for another one of these fate v love paranormal books.



Decision: Go


Goddess of the Sea (Goddess Summoning #1)

I'm not really sure what originally drew me to this series because the covers aren't really my thing and it doesn't look YA. A 25 year old drinking too much invokes a spell that brings her to an ancient time full of magic (and puts her into the body of a mermaid named Undine). Looks like another triangle between a land boy and a merman.  

Decision: Go


Glimmerglass (Faeriewalker #1)

My buddy Erika didn't give this book a stellar review and was already on the fence about it. The MC finds out the the far world exists and that she's the only one who can exist in both worlds (Fae and Human). Fae political shenanigans ensue I'd imagine. Like 30 of my friends shelved it as to-read in the early 2010's and never read it either.



Decision: Go


The Ruins of Gorlan (Ranger's Apprentice #1)

I believe this was recommended to me because I enjoyed the Pendragon series, but I'm not 100% sure. The Rangers sound like a fantasy battalion (no magic though) that protect the people from war before the war ever reaches their homeland. Uncle Rick says there is more telling than showing in this book so I'm skeptical.

Decision: Go


Did I make the right decisions?? Let me know in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment