Tuesday, November 3, 2020

Top Ten Tuesday #11

 


Top 10 Non-Bookish Hobbies

1. Video Games

I have been playing a lot of Pokémon throughout my life, and the Crown Tundra DLC just released. I have also been really into Animal Crossing all year, as well as Assassin's Creed Odyssey. Classics that I haven't played recently but own and recommend are Pokémon HeartGold/SoulSilver and Knights of the Old Republic! My next adventures will be the new Mario 3D World and Red Dead Redemption 2.

2. Boxing

With covid, this hobby has been pretty much non-existent, but this used to be my favorite way to exercise. I love the challenge and the camaraderie of my gym, as well as the awesome instructions and tips from my trainer. I actually just moved (across the country from Massachusetts to Washington), so I'll know I've returned to my normal when gyms open back up and I can find a new place to box here in Seattle.

3. Sailing/Kayaking/SUPing

I grew up near the water and I have many fond memories of the family going to lakes, rivers, bays, oceans--you name it-- in order to hang out on the water. I love sailing the most, particularly on small one or two person boats like Sunfish. Kayaking and Stand Up Paddle-boarding are close seconds.

4. Makeup

I'm really into expressive exploration with how I present myself, including my makeup. I love wearing bright colors on my eyes and lips and I really enjoy experimenting with combinations and techniques.

5. Writing

I spend a lot of my time every day writing, though the genre is always changing. I write a lot of literary theory and critique in my academic work, as well as political posts for my activist work, as well as jokes and poetry just for fun!

6. Movies

I'm a huge film buff. One of my minors in college was actually International Film and Cultures! I love studying shots and scripts and thinking about how represented themes are affected by a country's own values and priorities. That being said, I like to kick back, relax, and watch movies for fun too!

7. Arts and Crafts

I feel like I'm always picking up and dropping hobbies in this field-- it's really hard to stick to one! I really like to draw and I brought some sketch/inking pens with me in my move but I have not actually used them in several months now. I took up knitting in 2nd grade, found my old needles in my parents house before I moved, and have started picking that up again. Not sure how long that will last... I have a needle-point project that is half finished that I should probably return to again soon...

8. Baking

I love eating yummy things, which means I find myself in the kitchen baking yummy things quite often. My perfected recipe is chocolate chip cookies, but recently I've been making tons and tons of blueberry muffins!

9. Candle Collecting

Candles just smell so delicious! I have one lit right now as I've been working on this post. I think what I love about them the most is how easily they can transform my little desk area into something homey, or adventurous, or exotic. I feel like I'm being teleported somewhere else when I've got a candle lit!

10. Skiing

This is my oldest hobby. I started skiing when I was barely three years old! I enjoy most snow sports but I especially love the exhilaration that comes with skiing, as well as the familiarity of a home mountain and the adventure that comes with going to a new mountain on vacation. The technical skill required has always been something I have been proud of myself for, and it's fantastic exercise. Because of covid, this will be the first winter since I was two years old that I won't be skiing and that's a totally wild reality for me right now. 

11 comments:

  1. Sailing is such a cool hobby!

    My post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. SKiing is a great hobby. I don't personally do it, but my daughter and husband love to. It's a great bonding thing for them. And I get the time to myself. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Skiing was a bonding activity for me and my dad too! My mom loved getting a day of peace and quite with my siblings and I out of the house haha

      Delete
  3. One of the first things my son did when all the gyms closed was buy a punching bag! He says it's a great stress reliever and keeps him in great shape to boot.

    Happy TTT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's fantastic for him, it really is a great way to exercise. I miss it a lot!

      Delete
  4. Sailing, Kayaking, Skiing... such cool hobbies. (Pretty blog, by the way!)

    Here's my list of hobbies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I just redesigned my blog in October <3

      Delete
  5. I love makeup! My favorite part of makeup is eyeliner; I love, love, love winged eyeliner. I am also a big fan of bold lipsticks! Candles are amazing. I recently purchased a few candles from Bath and Body Works (they had a sale) and man, I am just obsessed.
    I enjoyed reading your TTT!
    My post: https://herbookishdesires.wordpress.com/2020/11/03/%f0%9f%9a%ab%f0%9f%93%9atop-ten-tuesday-non-bookish-hobbies%e2%9b%b8%f0%9f%93%93/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love winged eyeliner too, but I still find it SO HARD. They are never perfectly identical, but I like that it challenges my artistic skill. I think my favorite makeup is shimmer or glitter eyeshadow!

      Delete
  6. Great list! I love to play video games too, especially RPG games like "Final Fantasy" and "Kingdom Hearts!" I'm slowly getting into candle collecting myself!

    Here’s my TTT!

    Ronyell @ Rabbit Ears Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard great things about Kingdom Hearts but have never owned the consoles it comes out on. I just got an xbox one, so maybe I'll pick up KH 3 sometime!

      Delete