Tuesday, June 27, 2017

BroodyBFF Challenge #4: Let’s Talk Sequels!








Today’s blog post is going to be a discussion. The topic is thanks to the #BroodyBFF's Challenge #4- Let's Talk Sequels!

The “trilogy curse” has been talked about a lot on Addicted to YA recently and honestly I agree. The author seems to use book two primarily to set up book three, instead of making them a bit more separate. Trilogies feel more rushed because they’re just trying to get the product out there. I’m kinda glad duologies are becoming a thing! That being said, there are some great sequels out there and some worlds I would love to know more about!

Great Sequels

Helm Abomination (Haven Awakening #2) by Gryffyn J. Phoenix
Gathering Blue (The Giver #2) by Lowry Lois
The Ring of Solomon (Bartimaeus #0.5) by Jonathan Stroud
The Iron Fey Series by Julie Kagawa (every book got consecutively better)
Script Kiddie (Assured Destruction #2) by Michael F. Stewart
Champion (Legend #3) by Marie Lu

Anticipated Sequels

Ship of the Dead (Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard #3) by Rick Riordan
The Winds of Winter (A Song of Ice and Fire #6) by George R. R. Martin
Phasma (Disney Star Wars Canon) by Delilah S. Dawson
Smoke in the Sun (Flame in the Mist #2) by Renée Ahdieh

Worlds I Need More Of

Harry Potter
Now hear me out! I would absolutely love an anthology book containing short stories/lore of the various other wizarding schools! How did they all get their start? What is is like going to school there now? I NEED day to day wizard student experiences and the histories behind their schools.

Inheritance Cycle
I could use an Angela spin off, a lore book, the golden age of the dragon riders, what Eragon is up to now… I need so much from Chrisopher Paolini!!!

Angela: Queen of Hel
She is such a cool character, with a great queer relationship. Thor's sister Angela is so witty and relatable- I love her comics so much. Queen of Hel shouldn’t have gotten cancelled and I need more.

What are your favorite sequels?


You can check out my fellow #BroodyBFF responses on Twitter




Brooding YA Hero: Becoming a Main Character (Almost) as Awesome as Me 


The BroodyBFF's street team will run from May to November, so check back here at Love at First Write regularly for new challenges and updates, and follow me and @broodingyahero on Twitter to see the hashtags, visual challenges, and #BroodyChats! 

No comments:

Post a Comment